Original Source: FD (FAIR DISCLOSURE) WIRE
. Cathy Evans, Oracle Corp., IR . Ray Roccaforte, Oracle Corp., VP of Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
ORCL reported that Oracle Business Intelligence was launched at Oracle OpenWorld in Dec. 2004, and released efficiently in Jan. 2005. Q&A Focus: BI functionality, Warehouse Builder, and pricing.
S1. Opening Comments (R.R.) 1. Opening Comments: 1. Oracle Business Intelligence was launched at Oracle OpenWorld in Dec. 2004, and released efficiently in Jan. 2005. 2. Business Intelligence Market Background: 1. In terms of the general market, ORCL thinks it is very well positioned in the Business Intelligence Market.
1. Most BI implementations start with ORCL database than any other database. 1. Most ISVs tell that roughly 60% of their business starts out on ORCL, and the Co. thinks that's conservative.
2. PeopleSoft has a product called Enterprise Performance Management (EPM). 1. At the time of the acquisition, 70% of PeopleSoft EPM
implementations were on ORCL. 2. ORCL's position according to IDC is 41% in the overall database market. 1. This includes IBM Mainframe. 2. Talking about moderate implementations, this goes to well over 50%. 3. In the data warehousing market, ORCL is at about 44% of the market. 3. Oracle 10g Release 2:
1. ORCL just released Oracle 10g Release 2. 1. Had a very strong release with 10g R1, its Grid Computing release. 2. 10g R2 was just been released into the market. 1. On TPC-H, the standard data warehousing industry benchmark, on exactly the same hardware, ORCL got 27% improvement in performance. 2. ORCL is still working hard to improve its database and market position. 3. In terms of improving ORCL's data warehouse market position, it has a product called Oracle Warehouse Builder. 1. This is an ETL tool, and it is designed to accelerate the design and deployment of data warehouses in BI systems. 2. Very rich meta data management and data quality services, and it's by far the most cost effective ETL solution on the market. 4. Embedded Analytics: 1. ORCL's strategy is to embed the algorithms in the database. 1. Has a very complete OLAP and Data Mining capabilities in the ORCL database. 2. Has embarked on a program, and has a fairly strong collection of statistics as well, and is building on that program. 1. Advantages of this program: 1. Scalability. 2. Security. 3. Customers have a single source of truth, which reduces the consistency problem.
5. Product Portfolio: 1. ORCL has OLAP technology for analytics and scenario management. 2. ORCL does predictive analytics through its Data Mining Option. 1. Will be soon showing examples of customers who have broken the 100-terabyte range in their data warehousing. 1. The Co. sells its Partitioning Option to enable that.
3. To enable Grid Computing, ORCL sells its Real Application
Clusters Option. 6. BI 10g Components: 1. ORCL has a query, reporting and analysis component called Oracle Discoverer.
1. ORCL enables users to those customizable dashboards through
its Discoverer port. 2. Enables Microsoft Excel in its integration through a new component called Oracle BI Spreadsheet Add-In.
3. Enables customers to build very sophisticated BI application
themselves or embed analytics into their other application
through Oracle BI Beams. 4. Has an Enterprise Reporting component for the very highly stylized, highly formatted type of documents, Oracle Reports Services. 5. All of the aforementioned components have been bundled into one product Oracle BI 10g released in Jan. 2005. 7. Analytics Application: 1. Has embedded reporting in its E-Business Suite called Daily Business Intelligence.
2. Has performance management applications like Enterprise
Performance Management from PeopleSoft. 3. Has Planning and Budgeting applications, Activity-Based Management, business scorecarding applications, a lot of business analytics applications in the ORCL portfolio. 8. Summary: 1. ORCL has a unique position based on three facts: 1. Leading market position, the fact that most BI implementations start with an Oracle database. 2. Some unique technology that ORCL has within that foundation. 3. ORCL has a very broad portfolio of products that it can sell into the market. 9. IDC's Review: 1. Aug. 2005 report from IDC, looking at worldwide Business Analytics software, shows the following:
1. ORCL has a pretty good foundation to build the BI business.
2. ORCL has got a lot of momentum. 3. ORCL has more scope.
10. BI 10g Update: 1. Product Highlights: 1. ORCL launched this product in OpenWorld in 2004. 2. Very positive reception by industry analysts and press. 3. Shipped the production version in Jan. 2005. 2. Business Benefits: 1. Helping customers make the right decisions faster. 1. …