AccessMyLibrary provides FREE access to millions of articles from top publications available through your library.
1. The vaccine, Varivax, was approved by the FDA in 1995.
2. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the vaccine is 85% effective in preventing all chicken pox cases.
3. Those who do contract chicken pox in spite of the vaccine usually have a much milder case.
4. In January 2000, the Center for Disease Control's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended that all children over 12 months who are entering daycare or elementary school be vaccinated with Varivax if they have not already had chicken pox.
5. The AAP recommends a single dose of the vaccine for all children between 12 and 18 months. …