AccessMyLibrary provides FREE access to millions of articles from top publications available through your library.
Byline: DJ Yap
DOZENS of Filipinos fleeing the unrest in Libya came home yesterday shaken by the experience and profusely thanking their French employers for arranging their evacuation.
The Filipinos, all men except for the wife of one, and employed by Vinci Construction Grands Projets, flew in from Paris where they were taken following their exit under military guard from the capital city of Tripoli.
We were extremely lucky. [Our employers] took care of everything, including our hotel accommodations in Paris and our plane tickets, said Jun Salonga, a native of Nueva Ecija, who had been working at Vinci for eight years.
Salonga, 43, said other Filipinos not employed by multinational companies like Vinci were so much worse off.
Right now, there are still Filipinos there who have no way of getting out, he said.
Others gave similar accounts, saying there were few signs of the Philippine governments efforts to get Filipinos out of Libya.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) yesterday announced that Acting Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario left Friday night for Tunisia to supervise the repatriation of Filipino …