AccessMyLibrary provides FREE access to millions of articles from top publications available through your library.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Fairfax County, the largest school system in Virginia and the 12th largest in the country, educates more than 166,000 students in 205 schools. University of Virginia education professor Daniel L. Duke argues in his new book, "Education Empire," that its success is due to several factors:
- creating a stable organizational culture open to innovation and change
- being committed to addressing and balancing competing interests
- taking the time to anticipate problems and research educational trends
- offering rigorous academic programs for minority students
- targeting additional resources for schools with high numbers of at-risk students
- developing a comprehensive data management system to track student progress
- maintaining an outstanding staff and addressing their professional development
- working with the community.
In 2003 rankings by Newsweek, …